Where You Most Have to Worry About Bedbugs
Bedbugs travel from place to place and can make their way into homes, apartments, and even offices.
How to Protect Your Home Against Bedbugs
Orkin recommends homeowners and travelers do the following:
- Regularly inspect your home for signs of bedbugs. They hide during the day on mattress tags and seams and behind baseboards, headboards, electrical outlets, and picture frames.
- Decrease clutter around the home to make it easier to spot bedbugs.
- Inspect all second-hand furniture before bringing it inside the home.
- Dry potentially infested bed linens, curtains, and stuffed animals on the hottest temperatures in the laundry.
Orkin, a nationwide pest management company, released its annual list of cities with the most bedbug infestations. Baltimore and Washington, D.C., continue to rank the highest for infestations. Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas, joined the top 10 list this year.
Orkin based its list on treatment data from metro areas where it performed the most bedbug treatments from Dec. 1, 2016, to Nov. 30, 2017. The rankings include both residential and commercial treatments.
“The number of bedbug infestations in the United States is still rising,” says Tim Husen, an Orkin entomologist. “They continue to invade our homes and businesses on a regular basis because they are not seasonal pests, and only need blood to survive. … Any type of home is prone to budbegs. It has nothing to do with sanitation. We have treated for bedbugs everywhere, from newly built upscale homes to public housing.”
Here are how the 50 cities ranked for 2018:
2. Washington, D.C.
4. Los Angeles (moved up 2 spots this year)
5. Columbus, Ohio
6. Cincinnati (+2 spots)
8. New York (-4 spots)
9. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose
10. Dallas-Fort Worth (+5 spots)
13. Atlanta (+3 spots)
14. Cleveland-Akron-Canton, Ohio (-1 spots)
15. Raleigh-Durham, N.C. (-3 spots)
16. Richmond-Petersburg, Va. (-5 spots)
18. Norfolk-Portsmouth-Newport News, Va. (+2 spots)
19. Charlotte, N.C. (-3 spots)
20. Buffalo, N.Y. (-2 spots)
21. Knoxville, Tenn.
22. Nashville, Tenn. (+1 spots)
23. Grand Rapids-Kalamazoo-Battle Creek, Mich. (+4 spots)
25. Greenville-Spartanburg, S.C.-Asheville, N.C.
26. Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill. (+4 spots)
27. Phoenix (-1 spots)
28. Denver (-6 spots)
30. Hartford-New Haven, Conn. (+1 spots)
31. Charleston-Huntington, W.Va. (+5 spots)
32. Boston (-4 spots)
33. Syracuse, N.Y. (+7 spots)
34. Dayton, Ohio (-2 spots)
35. St. Louis (+2 spots)
36. Seattle (-2 spots)
37. Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. (+9 spots)
38. Flint-Saginaw-Bay City, M.I. (new to list)
39. Omaha, N.E. (-6 spots)
40. Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Dubuque, Iowa (-2 spots)
41. San Diego (new to list)
42. Lexington, Ky. (+1 spots)
43. Honolulu, Hawaii (+5 spots)
44. Louisville, Ky. (-3 spots)
45. Las Vegas (+4 spots)
46. Greensboro-High Point-Winston Salem, N.C. (-4 spots)
47. New Orleans (new to list)
48. Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C. (-9 spots)
49. Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla. (-14 spots)
50. Albany-Schenectady-Troy, N.Y. (new to list)
About Empire Appraisal Group, Inc.
Establish in 2005, Empire Appraisal Group, Inc., is Broward County’s leading residential appraisal company as a result of their accurate and reliable appraisals, excellent customer service, and quick turn times. When working with an appraiser, integrity and professionalism are essential, and Empire Appraisal Group has a well-established reputation for providing the best appraisal experience. Daniel Lindeman, the Chief Appraiser, is considered one of the top property appraisers in Florida, with nearly 15 years of expertise and 8,000+ appraisals to his credit.
We ‘specialize’ in helping people who need appraisals for estate purposes, divorce, bankruptcy, FSBO’s and more.
We also work closely with realtors to help establish listing prices, these pre-listing appraisals ensures sellers get top dollar for their home.
In addition, to homes of all shapes and sizes, we also appraise condos, multifamily homes, boat docks, land, as well as specialty properties. No job is too big or too small, from manufactured homes to mansions.
Call Empire Appraisal Group directly with any questions concerning your real estate values at 561-441-9298. Also, check out our ‘Reviews’ page and see what others are saying about Daniel Lindeman and Empire Appraisal Group, Inc.
We provide residential appraisal services to all cities in Broward County: Parkland, Coral Springs, Coconut Creek, Dania Beach, Cooper City, Davie, Deerfield Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Sunrise, Hallandale Beach, Hillsboro Beach, Hollywood, Lauderdale by the Sea, Lauderdale Lakes, Lauderhill, Lighthouse Point, Margate, Miramar, North Lauderdale, Oakland Park, Pembroke Pines, Plantation, Pompano Beach, Sea Ranch Lakes, Tamarac, Weston, Wilton Manors.